Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Learn to Make a Box Chain








The Box Chain is one of the easiest chainmaille weaves to learn. I have found a video created by the folks at www.jewelrysupply.com that does a great job of showing you the easy steps involved in making this simple, yet lovely chain. In the video they recommend using 18 gauge 7 mm inner diameter rings. Rings smaller than 18 gauge in diameter are not recommended when used for heavy wear. I agree with their recommendation whole heartedly. The watch I have pictured in today's blog was one I made for myself using 22 gauge sterling silver jump rings. While the watch band turned out beautifully, it was not heavy enough to stand up to every day wear and the rings ended up pulling apart after a few months of wear. It was one of my first chainmaille projects, and I was not experienced enough to know better! Don't make my mistake. It is always a good idea to find out recommended ring sizes before starting a project. Here some links for websites with recommended ring sizes for particular weaves: http://www.venomspit.com/ and the Maille Artisans website at http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/subcat.cgi?key=5 .
Enjoy the video below. It beautifully illustrates the steps in making a box chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment